Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Back to Kar El

There were a few take aways from the last portrait day.

I was evolving a style where the pencil marks are used as a placeholder while I use the brush to do a final. Problem was, I wasn't fast enough, and the brush I used wasn't enough as a finishing tool. I need to cover great amounts of space in a short time.

I decided to attempt Superman again. This was drawn in the wee hours of the morning and there was a multitude of things wrong with it. But it highlighted that while I assumed that I was capable do doing great work, I've never proved it.



Where were all those fantastic visions, the realistic pictures that I dreamt myself capable of? What is wrong? What do I need to do to evolve?

I decided to try again, this time, adding a little more expression.





This was the one without the pencil layer.

I still didn't like the expression, nor the look of this Kar El. Somehow, something is lost and I still haven't managed to grasp what it was.

Certainly, skills, and knowledge of lighting plays a part of what I needed to improve on, but it was as though as I just could not bring out the expression to say what I truly wanted, or that what that resulted was a muted version of what I imagined.

In any case, it only means I'll try again, and in doing so learn what I need to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment